Commercial Users

The following is a summary of pretreatment requirements for commercial establishments. In all cases, the information contained in the Wastewater Management Ordinance supersedes the information contained in this summary. View the Wastewater Management Ordinance (Chapter 19, Article II).

The following is a partial list of establishments required to have a commercial wastewater permit:
  • All automotive dealers, automotive repair shops, car wash facilities and gas stations with floor drains
  • All food establishments, including:
    • Bakeries
    • Candy makers
    • Food processors
    • Markets
    • Restaurants
    • Breweries/Distilleries
    • Ice Cream Shops
    • Coffee Shops
    • Any other business or facility that has a kitchen and prepares food
  • Dry cleaners
  • Laundromats
  • Photo Labs

Grease Trap and Oil/Water Separator Installation

All new food establishments must install a town approved grease trap, and all automotive related establishments must install a town approved oil/water separator.  Automated grease traps and/or outside grease interceptors are required for all grease intensive food establishments.  Passive grease traps are not allowed for grease intensive food establishments. Grease trap and oil/water separator size must be confirmed by a licensed plumber and shop drawings of the proposed grease trap or oil/water separator must be submitted to the Pretreatment Coordinator for approval prior to installation.
Upon installation, the Pretreatment Coordinator will inspect the establishment and the grease trap or oil/water separator for proper installation. Please submit the form below with grease trap shop drawings.  Thereafter, all establishments with grease traps or oil/water separators are subject to a minimum of a twice-yearly inspection.

Commercial wastewater permits are $100 per year and permit applications are available in the South Kingstown Town Clerk's Office, 180 High Street, Wakefield, Rhode Island. For more information on the Pretreatment Program, view the Wastewater Management Ordinance (Chapter 19, Article II); or call the Town's Pretreatment Coordinator at 401-788-9771.

 Commercial Grease Trap Application