Researching Your South Kingstown Home
RESOURCES FOR RESEARCHING THE HISTORY OF YOUR SOUTH KINGSTOWN HOME
- South Kingstown Land Evidence Records. Here you create a free account with a username and password to enter the database.
- The Narragansett Times 1855-1980 Online Database. Provided by the South Kingstown Public Library, this resource is fully searchable by any keyword.
- The 1870 Beers Map of South Kingstown.
- The Atlas of the State of Rhode Island Map of South Kingstown, 1870, showing Rocky Brook, Peace Dale, and Wakefield
- Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps of South Kingstown, 1885-1946.
- Historic and Architectural Resources of South Kingstown, Rhode Island: A Preliminary Report. This 1984 report of historic homes and neighborhoods in the town provides a wide overview. Note that it was completed before the 1986 street-renumbering.
- The South Kingstown Tax Assessor’s Online Database. This gives basic information about the size and design of the house along with current ownership. A small number of previous owners are listed, but not necessarily a full roster of everyone who has ever owned the property. The “Year Built” field gives at least a ballpark estimate of the age of a house.
- History of Washington and Kent Counties, Rhode Island, 1889, by J. R. Cole. https://archive.org/details/cu31924028840011/page/n5/mode/2up
- Rhode Island Historical Preservation and Heritage Commission Historic Property Search
IN THE LIBRARY:
- 1857 Laminated Map of South Kingstown in the Rhode Island Room.
- 1891 Framed Map of Rocky Brook, Peace Dale, and Wakefield in the Rhode Island Room
- Rhode Island Vertical File folder on “Historic Homes--South Kingstown”
- Images of America books for Peace Dale, Wakefield, Matunuck, Kingston, South Shore
- Microfilm: Narragansett Times, 1981-2010; South County Independent, 1997-2010
ASK A LIBRARIAN:
You can make an individual appointment with the Local History Librarian to discover additional resources or identify more search strategies. Contact Jessica Wilson at email@example.com or call 401-789-1555 xt 4110.