Town Trees

The Town has a local ordinance that regulates trees within the Town right of way and on Town property.  The Town's Tree Warden is responsible for overseeing municipal tree work. Read the Town's Tree Ordinance (Chapter 18.5 of the Town Code).

Tree Work Requirements

A permit is required before any pruning, trimming or removal of trees is done within the Town's right of way, and all municipal tree work must be performed by a Rhode Island Licensed Arborist. In addition, posting by the Tree Warden and possibly a hearing before the Tree Board (Conservation Commission) will be required before a permit can be issued for tree removal.

If you are unsure whether a tree is on your private property or in the Town right of way, please call the Public Services Department at 401-789-9331, ext. 2250.